"Keeping the public on public lands & waters"


Email Newsletter icon, E-mail Newsletter icon, Email List icon, E-mail List icon Sign up for our Email Newsletter
For Email Marketing you can trust

Donate via PayPal

Illegal Road Closures

Fighting Back

Road closures have become a major problem in Montana. There are a variety of reasons for these closures including the desire to control public land and wildlife for profit or personsl use. If you become aware of a closure, you should contact the county commissioners in that county and request an opinion as to why they are allowing the road to remain closed. If you do this by letter you might include the following summary of a Montana Supreme Court decision. If the road in question is similar to the one in this case, ask why the commissioners are allowing the closure.

McClurg vs. Flathead County commissioners 188Mont. 20,610P.2d 1153 (1980) The supreme Court held that “adverse control” is presumed when all other elements necessary for a prescriptive easement have been established. In McClurg the public had used the road in a continuous and uninterrupted way for over 25 years without objection by the McClurgs. Mc Clurgs sought unsuccessfully to close the road to public use. The undisputed facts supported rather than rebutted the presumption of adverse use. For example, most members of the public never asked permission to use the road, and the county graded and maintained the road and laid gravel on the road without Mc Clurg‘s permission.

Mc Clurg was distinguished from Leffengwell Ranch Inc.vs Cieri 276 Mont. 421 916 P.2d 751 (1996) where road work was based on courtesy and cooperation with local ranchers and not PUBLIC DUTY.

Ask why the closed road is any diffrent from the one in this case. Remind the commissioners of the last line in that decision that identifies the opening and maintenance of such a road as a PUBLIC DUTY. It is illegal to spend public funds on a road that is not open the public.

There are too many road closures going unchallenged by commissioners because they are reluctant to face a possible lawsuit. Remind the commissioners that the Attorney General of Montana will assist in any challenge to an illegal closure. All they have to do is ask.

Don't give up because they tell you some story about a side pocket agreement with the landowner. Ask to see the agreement in writing. Sometime pressure in the form of letters to the editor in the local newspaper will work to your advantage.

John Gibson

related articles

Ruby River Stream Access Victory
( 07/01/2016 )   7/1/2016PLWA, once again, has been victorious in the battle for the public's stream access on the Ruby River, from the Seyler Lane Bridge, likely the original stagecoach route from Salt Lake City, north to Virginia City and Helena.It has been over a decade that PLWA (formerly known as PLAAI) has been involved in a lawsuit over public access to the Ruby River from Seyler Lane and the Seyler Bridge, a public prescriptive easement right-of-way in Madison County.

"Dark Money" Brought to Light
( 07/01/2016 )   The June-July, Newscasts section of Fly Fisherman reported on the recent investigation by Montana's Commissioner of Political Practices, Jonathan Motl, into a dark money campaign that could overturn Montana's Stream Access.Fly Fisherman recounted the Montana Growth Network's campaign contributions to District Judge Laurie McKinnon's run for our Montana Supreme Court.

public land issues

Seyler Lane Update
9/24/2015Seyler Bridge Easement - More Than Just RecreationUpdate - Kennedys attorney requested a postponement of the September 21 hearing.

Tenderfoot - Four Years and Counting
9/24/2015Tenderfoot Creek is a tributary of the Smith River, joining the Smith a mile or so north of Camp Baker.

    18 more public land issues

Sunny Hill Rd. Closure Sheridan County

Public Land/Water Access Association Inc. or PLWA, is a citizen group organized and operated under the Montana nonprofit corporation act.

Articles and Information on this site represent the opinion of the writer and are not intended as legal advice. Legal counsel may be needed in dealing with specific access situations and issues.
      PLWA.ORG   -   Public Land & Water Association