Know Your Rights on Federal Grazing Lands

All citizens have the right to hunt, fish, and recreate on BLM and Forest Service land – even though the land is subject to a grazing permit. If a permit holder tries to kick a hunter or angler off the land they are subject penalty under the Code of Federal Regulations Subpart 4140.1 (b) (7) Interfering with lawful uses or users including obstructing free transit through or over public lands by force, threat, intimidation, signs, barrier or locked gates;

The Taylor Grazing Act of 1934 says that ” Nothing in this act shall be construed as in any way altering or restricting the right to hunt or fish within a grazing district ………..or as vesting the permitee any right whatsoever to interfere with hunting or fishing within a grazing district. ”


Public Land/Water Access Association Inc. or PLWA,
is a citizen group organized and operated under the Montana nonprofit corporation act.
The Internal Revenue Service has made a determination that PLWA qualifies as a tax- exempt
organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and that it is a public charity.

Articles and Information on this site represent the opinion of the writer and are not intended as legal advice.
Legal counsel may be needed in dealing with specific access situations and issues.

Notice: Undefined index: sfsi_plus_place_item_gutenberg in /var/www/ on line 145